Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Situation Ethics


St. Michael's church, where I go to mass, is situated in a beautiful spot. It is next to the village park which has a river running through it. Walking out on a sunny day can be elevating. The park is also a wireless site, so the park alone has its own draw.
Twice this week, as I was passing in my car, I spotted a county deputy in the church parking lot running what I believe to be a radar trap. This makes me very uneasy, but not for the obvious reason that I might be speeding. I also know, even symbolically, that it isn't the marriage of church and state. So far, I haven't been able to figure out my feeling. Am I being possessive of the church parking lot? In short, I'm baffled, and don't have a clue.


5 comments:

CaseyQ said...

It used to drive me crazy watching the police cars sitting in that parking lot. Maybe it's because they didn't seem to like canoe liveries that much. On an unrelated note there was an almost brand new Fiero in a car parade I watched the other day, original tires and everything. There's also the Fiero's forever place in Sanford that reminds me of you every time I see it.

TQ said...

Casey, thanks for the comment. Yes, it does seem to be that they would have better things to do then just hang there, staring at the road. I've been down to that Sanford Fiero site. It makes my blood rush looking at all those cars.

Anonymous said...

As a newly minted atheist in the seventies,I questioned your attending mass. Your answer,"the mystery",was perfect. In an ironic twist,my children,raised without religion,send their children to Catholic schools. I told my son when he asked me what we worshiped "Nature and the family". I guess it wasn't enough..
Dee

TQ said...

Dee: the older I get the more mysteries I discover, but that is still "the Mystery" for me.

Barb said...

You know that it is the speeding really. You and that Fiero or yours can't keep the speed down to a slow pace. Don't have such a lead foot. I can hardly wait to retire so that I start thinking about a life other than teaching.