Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fishing Trip

My jaw dropped as he said it. "Archie, I want you to go down to Kmart and buy some gold fish." It was snowing outside the Bat Cave. Wm T. and I were roommates in Pontiac. This rather odd arrangement occurred as Hope thought it would be good for the family. Bill and I had just spent the afternoon at the kitchen table discussing "God, & Man & Law" along with a few beers to solidify the mix. The alcohol had convinced me that we had achieved parity. I was only nineteen, but I was paying half the rent and doing the other things dictated for my share.
William T. was taking a drag off his cigarette and glancing at the floor as he inhaled. With rhetorical flourish that continued the speculative nature of our earlier conversations, I said, "What if I don't do it?" Without even looking up, he said in a supremely calm voice, "Honey, I'll dazzle you with footwork." Instantly, my mind reeled back to the proper balance of father and son, and I replied with enthusiasm, "Yes, Sir!" . This predated Nike's famous dictum, "Just do it."

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love this...it's great. You know what...maybe Nike should switch it to..."I'll Dazzle you with footwork"

TQ said...

Thanks Kathleen. You're right, it does have more of a ring to it.

LQ said...

Dazzling!

Anonymous said...

Funny how those "Hope and Bill" moments come back to teach us yet again, and again. It keeps them alive for me when you write.