Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Technical Assistant



When I retired a year ago, I attempted to examine my habits and decide which ones to keep, modify or add. My explosion of free time felt like living childhood over again without the direction of parents. One of the first habits to go was wearing a wrist watch. No need to know the time, if it didn't matter what time it was.
Then I started splitting wood. That changed everything. If you have a grueling job, add thousands of insects, in addition to heavy humidity, ceasing operations becomes your focal point. It turned out I didn't know when to quit. As Huxley wrote, "Time Must Have a Stop."
Lucky for me, I knew where to find my much needed technical assistant. Strapping that watch on my wrist again felt like I had just discovered the wheel.


2 comments:

ColleenQ said...

And what does your therapist say about this development?

I haven't worn a watch in over 5 years, mostly because:
- it's a perfect excuse for always running late
- it gets in the way when I'm trying to blog
- cats don't care about the time

PQ said...

Laugh till I cried