Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Changelings


Upon the recommendation of my good friend, Dee, I read Stolen Child by Keith Donahue. Had I found the book in the library earlier, it would have stayed right there, untouched by these hands. Many have said it, but Bo Diddley said it best in a song, "You can't judge a book by its cover". I can judge a book by its title though, and that one would have said don't touch. As so often happens with me, I was totally wrong. This is exactly the book I had been looking for, but was unaware. For the longest time now, I have been wondering how the changelings system worked. I could understand the substitution, but what about the child who had been changed out?
This novel fills in the missing pieces. It all makes sense after you catch the narrative from both sides.
William T., who prided himself on being, "A practical man", told me more than once that his life changed when he plowed up the faery ring on the farm. Bo Diddley would say, "Don't mess with the dancing ring." Farmers, singers, and dancers, hear the same tune because they know to how to listen.

4 comments:

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Tony,
The book sounds great for a long winter read. I love reading your blog, you finally have a spot to put the energy that fills your soul...

ColleenQ said...

Is it appropriate to say I love the photo?! Aye!

Anonymous said...

Okay okay--I'll check it out when I get home!

Carol Q said...

Definitely have it on my list to read next week. By the way, never mentioned it but love the MP quote on your site. I read it every time and it never fails to make me smile!