Sunday, September 05, 2010

Retro Echo


Today, Paul and Randy were working on a fence, expending a lot of energy with a measured sense of success. Pretty pleased with himself, Paul who is both happy and excited, called to Erin in the house, "We"re Done!". Erin responded in her deep voice, "Who says?". They both broke out laughing at the echo of Wm. T. You were never done unless you had an inspection. Rarely was the inspection accompanied with words. Not given to verbose pronouncements, Wm T. replaced, "That is one decision you won't have to make" with "Who says?" Economy of measure dancing all the way.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony,
I loved your short story, it is the truth we all have information on each other that only a Quinlan can "understand" WmT lives in his wisdom.. what a dad he was!

Anonymous said...

Lanny has a similar economy of words with more than a little sarcasm implied. I left the burner on under a pan after I was cooking something. Did he turn it off?no He said..."you going to cook something else"?

TQ said...

Dee; When observing human behavior, I often think of Spock's comment, "Facinating". I really enjoyed reading Stolen Child.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.
Joseph Campbell
I'm hiking and meditating on a few quotes today! D