Monday, September 27, 2010

Non-Directive Counseling


Joe and I are having a talk at the dining room table when the phone rings. When I get up to answer it, Joe shifts his gaze to the porch window so as not to pay attention to my call. The phone has an extra long extension cord (marvel of that technological age) that allows me to walk from room to room pacing, and still carry on the conversation. The call was a long one, and as it continued, I notice my blood pressure is rising because my face is getting quite warm.
Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Joe reach around to the desk behind him.
Silence!
Stunned, I look into the dining room and there sits Joe with a pair of scissors in his hand and a serene expression on his face. He has severed the extension cord, and the baffled look on my face elicits this explanation. "There is no problem too big to run away from."

5 comments:

LQ said...

I love this! :) So true.

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Tony,
You said it all.. You got Joe at one of his finest moments, and he really must of thought, hey, Tony is a good guy, who in the hell is messing with my brother. If Tony won't cut this short, I better cut it short! He has a bit of Wm T in him.. don't ya think?

Carol Q said...

Happened to me my 16th summer. The big phone talker I was caused my mom extreme agitation. I remember saying, "I have to hang up now, my mom is cutting the wire" crackle, crackle dead. The incident resulted in my first runaway adventure which lasted an entire week at which time I returned home, apologized -- and had to pay for the phone repair!!

ColleenQ said...

And now those telemarketers don't have a chance!

[@mom: I'm trying to remember how many times you've killed my cell phone battery. Death by conversation. :)

TiffanyBerry said...

Death by conversation- I like that Colleen, kind of like being drunk on chocolate.