Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hyperbole


Eggs again. While boiling my Extra large eggs, I glance over at the shelf to the Extra virgin olive oil and wonder. Why do things have to be promoted to an extra slice of reality, larger than ordinary? The eggs aren't Extra large, and is it possible to be Extra virgin? Well, to be sure, I am baffled. Gresham's Law, pops into my head (bad currency drive out good) and that makes me wonder if the same analysis could be applied to language. Does poor language drive out better language?
My cast iron cooking pot on the stove came without exaggerated claims. None of the literature said it was Extra heavy cast iron, or Extra ugly in appearance. It all came together for me with an expression a friend of mine used constantly. "It don't make no never mind." I have picked up that expression and use it constantly for it fits so many situations.

7 comments:

ColleenQ said...

Extra double negative.

TQ said...

I love to think of it as a triple play.

TiffanyBerry said...

How about "I can't believe it's not butter" it's pretty incredulous butter they are talking about.

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Tony,
very few people in this whole damn world do I enjoy as much as you... your blog is like having a good cold beer with a best friend.. thanks.. lots to think about... love EQ

Anonymous said...

How about "peacekeeper missile "

TQ said...

I agree, that is a good one. One of my favorites from George Orwell's 1984 is the "Ministry of Love."

Kelly said...

Yes. Poor language does get pushed aside, for nonsensical words.

Case in point. Staycation is not a word. Neither is LOL either.

Mostly I use LOL to infer tone, but I die a little inside each time.