Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Novel Idea


Another great book from Dee's List is Molly Fox's Birthday by the Irish writer, Deirdre Madden. The book wasn't in the Roscommon library, but they borrowed it from a library in Esacanaba, a town in the Upper Peninsula. It was paperback, but had a nice texture. I like to hold a book for awhile before I read it, and this one had a nice feel to it even though it wasn't hard cover. The novel takes place all in one day. The narrator, a playwright, is staying in Molly's house and with the use of flashbacks, and a few visitors, she reminisces about herself and her relationships with a few of her very good friends. She tells the reader at one point, " I am aware that what I am saying here doesn't tally with what I said to Molly when she asked about this, but that's easily explained: I was lying." The story rings true even though it is fiction.

I took the book back in two days (one of my quirks, is that I hate to borrow things) and found that I was missing the book the same day I returned it. What to do? Sunday, the next day, the library was closed, but the Wi-Fi was still live through the walls of the building. I pulled out my handy Kindle and proceeded to download this book from the "cloud", while I was sitting in my car. What a rush, it took less than sixty seconds. So, I sat there, like Little Jack Horner, very pleased with myself and a novel idea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a literary "techie"! Is that an oxymoron or a contradiction in terms? I'm glad you liked Molly Fox. I'm a sucker for intelligence in writing and seem to like stream of conciousness,internal dialog types of books. Maybe it keeps me away from my own internal dialog!Dee

TQ said...

Dee: The funny thing about this book is that it parallels the movie "My Dinner with Andre", in the sense that it wouldn't seem interesting by the title but it was fascinating. To spend a day inside somebody else, what a perspective. "To live outside the law, you must be honest." Dylan
I have misplaced the last two books on the list. You're running 100% for excellent books. Could you shoot a couple more titles my way?

Anonymous said...

Tony,
a agree a good book, can make you feel like your cheating your mate.. like having an affair.. I enjoy Mary Karr so much, I thought I had a crush on her for the whole last book.

TiffanyBerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TiffanyBerry said...

You're a librarian's dream. I haven't a clue as to where Mrs. Humprey conjured up all of that animosity towards you from...