Friday, October 15, 2010

Zones of Time


While at Pioneer Village, I had a very nice conversation with Louis that flashed out schema buried in my mind for over fifty years. He told me that one of the reasons he moved from Florida to Alabama was that he wanted, "People to think that I talked fast." Wow! I thought to myself, I wanted to move to Alabama from Michigan to learn to talk slower. We had exact opposite goals with parallel strategies to achieve them.
Louis didn't mention snow in Florida as a reason for moving, but it sure was a motivator for me. Winter snows often blocked the roads and families would be snowbound for weeks until a bulldozer or grader would open a path. One of the beauties of an elementary education is that you can learn about geography and climate while you practice day dreaming.
I mentioned to Louis that I saw a sergeant standing out in the road dressed in Union blue, and it surprised me a bit. "Oh", he said, "We have reenactments here all of the time. The only problem is that we can't find enough volunteers to play the Yankees."

3 comments:

ColleenQ said...

We have a new girl FROM MICHIGAN (graduated from MSU, which is okay, too) in our office, who started this week. We tell our co-workers it's a yankee uprising, but I'm afraid we're talking too fast and they haven't caught on yet. :)

I've seen this from I-65, but never stopped to take a photo. I'm still glad you were forced onto the tourist track...

Anonymous said...

I would gladly play a yankee. But I have a hard time talking fast and making sense, Except after a few glasses of wine or a wee pint of Irish whiskey. Glad you had a good time. Barb

TiffanyBerry said...

[when asked what his songs are "about"] Oh, some are about four minutes; some are about five, and some, believe it or not, are about 11 or 12.- Bob Dylan.