Friday, May 27, 2011

Freedom of Information Act


I got a call yesterday from the police fundraisers. Years ago, they got my number when I was down and out. At that time, the spokesperson let me know that if I didn't contribute, things might not work out that well for me with regard to the law enforcement agencies.
Anyway, when I told Joe about these calls, he set me straight in a most direct manner.
"These guys aren't cops, they're fundraisers who earn their living by soliciting funds." Armed with this new information, I was able to field these calls in a more efficient way. My new litmus test was the percentage of the funds raised that actually got to the charity in question.
Yesterday, when I asked the caller this question, he turned me over to his supervisor, who then proceeded to rattle off the statistics. Without thinking too hard, I could easily see this wouldn't be a very charitable return.
The supervisor then moved quickly to closure, " You told me your opinion, I'm not going to tell you mine. Have a nice day."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outpost- A faster and far more efficient way of handling these calls is simply to hang up ASAP. I once had one of these boiler room jockeys begin to interrogate me on "if I was a resident" of the state, and "If I cared about officers..." Low- real low. The police ought to ashamed of consorting with these people.

Tony said...

Anon: I like the term "boiler room jockeys" and i think if the police realized the harm these folks were doing then they would take the high road and disassociate themselves from this rabble.