Saturday, July 09, 2011

Calligraphy Day One

Yesterday, I pulled the plug on my cable tv, phone, and internet. The ladies at Charter never batted an eye for I am a regular guy and they know the routine. Upon returning home from the neighboring town, I quickly retrieved my new calligraphy kit, along with some parchment paper that I was quite anxious to use.

The next phase of my plan was to begin practicing the desired art by writing my daughters each a letter on this ancient paper. Right then and there, the plan fell apart. I couldn't figure out how to load the ink into this mighty fine pen! To save face, I took my fountain pen and attempted slow writing. I mailed the letters with the full knowledge that I have a lot to learn.


5 comments:

ColleenQ said...

One of my favorite Natalie Merchant songs...this version is great, too.

Calligraphy's a tough sport - you gave me a hardcover book with calligraphy pen (with ink) inside it one year. I practiced often, but soon came to the conclusion no one would be paying for me to write their wedding invitations.

Tony said...

Colleen, yes indeed, not an easy game to learn. I have lowered my sights and the target now is just to improve my handwriting using a fountain pen.

Anonymous said...

I sense a tiny bit of the luddite creeping in Tony...cancelling all communication systems and not even relying on a ball point pen...you go for the ink pen. What's next, quills you sharpen yourself and maybe...falcon hunting? D

Barb said...

Try learning it when you are a lefty. Most directions are written for right handed people. I would have loaned you my stuff had I known you were into this. I use a special marker when I did mine.

TQ said...

D: You're right. These skills coexist and blossomed when Walmart funneled its only customers into the machine only line.

Barb: i saw some directions for lefties, but was so much in quicksand where I stood, that I just let them drift by.