Saturday, July 23, 2011

It Happened One Night


In 1934, It Happened One Night was filmed starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. I chanced upon the movie late one night, years ago on television. The last half was all I was able to see, but it stayed in my mind since that time. The writers for this movie did a fantastic job of telling their story around the strict censorship of the time. In fact, they

did so well writing between the lines, that the challenge of censorship raised the movie to a new level. The two stars woke up in a haystack and the dialogue that followed was so funny that it stayed with me years.

I was fortunate enough to review the movie last week on a dvd. The humorous scenes, that were the core of the movie, were totally removed. The writing finesse that happened one night was clipped during the day, when censorship casts but a light shadow.


No comments: