Monday, November 28, 2011

Question


Attempting to determine the distance to Enterprise, I used two sources to satisfy my curiosity, a gps and a Google map application. The gps believes it is 912 miles and the G map decided it was 1100 miles. Those readings fall well beyond the pale of a +/- 3% standard deviation. Now, I'm even more curious! Which one of these authorities is correct?
This led me down another path of confusion. For years, I assumed the expression, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" came from Plato's Republic, but I discover that a number of people don't believe it. So... I am still left with, "Who guards the guardians?"



4 comments:

ColleenQ said...

1048 miles, but that doesn't include side trips for Moosehead or train photos.

Tony said...

Colleen: Wow! that is the fastest response to a question I have ever received. But, of course, this does introduce a third possibility. How many answers are there?

ColleenQ said...

Et tu, Brutus? I'll watch them, but I definitely want a raise in pay. People are afraid of big gov't - I'm terrified of those big, ominipotent banks!

(Weird - I was able to comment before your final blog posted. You must have been spell-checking)

Tony said...

Right on the money! Big banks deserve more scrutiny!

When I was talking to Conner @ X-Giving (I like Tiffany's term for it) about books I mentioned your book Time Storms as one of the few in which the author dealt with time in a realistic manner.