Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Diamond Jubilee


August 11 this year is my fiftieth class reunion. I have missed most of them through the years, but this one will be a goal of mine.
I remember saying to Wm T. in the second semester of my senior year that I was going to quit school. I was hoping for a reaction of sorts or at least a few words to talk me down. "Go ahead, you'll only hurt yourself."
Taking that practical advice, I went on to graduate. 
One year later, Hope (ever the social engineer) suggested I move in with Bill. I couldn't turn my mother down, but the thought seemed incongruous to nth degree. Free at last, why would a guy choose to live with his dad?
We both stuttered severely, but that wasn't the impediment between us. We didn't really know each other well in a conversational sense. He talked, I listened. As luck would have it, those years in the Bat Cave are still some of the best in my live.



  

2 comments:

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Thanks Tony that story made me get on the right track with my day.. he was truly a wise man

Tony said...

Erin: He knew so much and said so little like a Zen master. I think about him more and more as the years roll by.