Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cras

     
     One meaning of the prefix pro is to be in favor of something. Cras is a Latin adverb that means tomorrow. I suspect that it might be the root word for procrastination(put off for tomorrow).  My crude hammering on the word meaning then: (in favor of putting off for tomorrow).
     One meaning of the prefix con is to be against something. On a number of occasions in week 37, I haven't been procrastinating. My new word to describe this behavior is concrastination. A rather positive experience, but my spell checker wants to throw it out.



3 comments:

ColleenQ said...

I've never heard of the adverb 'cras', but I love concrastination. What a great word!

Tony said...

Colleen: Latin writers probably didn't use it a lot. I love making up words (I use postdon't whenever I can).
Got any ideas for changing the prefix on the made up word? It would sound better if we switch pro and con, as pro usually has a more positive connotation.

ColleenQ said...

Contracrastination? Too much of a mouthful? Or prodiem?

Boy, those Romans! It's like they had a different word for everything! (Steve Martin paraphrase for you).