Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Trees Pressed Thin"



One of my favorite blogs is written by a lady in North Port who owns a book store. ( booksinnorthport.blogspot.com/ In the discussion, within this blog last winter, she
quoted an author about other outcomes for books. It rolled around my brain
this whole time, but I couldn't reprint it because I didn't know the authors name. Well..
I finally found it after about a four hour search! Never have been that good at the search
portion of research. I hope you enjoy it. “Growth Rings,” by Benjamin Busch.
"Reflections on parents and their books and writings, along with the author’s time spent in the woods, along a stream, as well as his sense of books as “trees pressed thin,” his love for books as objects, cast a spell over me as I read.

The writer will die, the reader will die, and the mice will come for the papers they left in boxes. We will all be covered with a blank white sheet. But there will be a shelf somewhere where the book will survive. Someone will walk into the empty room, blow the gathered dust from it, sit, and begin reading in the light of a window. The book will change what they see outside. Then the reader will consider the placement of the book and the book will remain, again, where it is placed."


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Quote. Makes me feel a little small and insignificant. Also makes you think and wonder. I'll never read a book in the same way again.

Barb

Tony said...

Barb: It makes me think of the timelessness of things as we are all constantly changing forms.

Erin Q. Hartman said...

I love your blog, that is why I wrote Hope for Carsonville.. because when I am dead and gone the world will still know the Quinlan's.. They will know most of all that no matter what life threw at us, we got up wiped our little knees off and got on to the next thing that needed to done. Writing is a powerful thing... but to read is equal to writing if you ask me and it is much easier to do..

TQ said...

Erin: What you are saying makes a lot of sense to me! It sure is a lot easier to read than write. Different sort of rush though.