Monday, August 01, 2011

Flashback


On the farm, in the attic, was a trunk filled with memories. As kids, we would search through it to find costumes for Halloween. Some fantastic treasures laid buried there. One item, which I never paid much attention too, was a three inch by eight inch, hard cover ledger.

This last, non-camping weekend, I picked the ledger up from my sister Shannon, and got the opportunity to look through it. The first entry was Port Sanilac, Michigan, 1869.

In that year, William T. Quinlan paid a daily rate of $2.50 for two men and a horse. Inflation has kicked the rates up a bit, but perhaps "Two Men and a Truck" have roots in the past.

6 comments:

ColleenQ said...

Extremely cool. Also of note - it looks as though the compartments in that desk were made for your gadgets...

Erin Q. Hartman said...

Cool Tony.. very cool

Tony said...

Colleen: The compartments in that desk were customer designed for your Aunt Pat in Keego of all places. I picked up the desk late in life from your Aunt Shannon.

Erin: Glad you like it. Just holding something that is 142 years old pumps me up.

CaseyQ said...

I'm a big fan of the desk TQ and 142 year old ledger is something that psych's me up too. Gotta love history, especially when its your own family's.

Barb said...

Old ledgers are fantastic. My brother found some that dealt with Midland County. I love reading them an diaries. Too Cool

Tony said...

Casey: thanks. I keep telling people about your back porch garden. It psyches me up to have a little winter garden in Alabama.

Barb: Just holding them has a special feeling as though you were there now. Diaries would even be better for a sense of the time.