Monday, January 16, 2012

Accidental Meditation


For a time in the 70's, I was trying to learn how to meditate. One of my reasons for this was that I thought it would relax me, or at least provide a mental retreat . I would read Alan Watts books by the score, but even with a little education, the technique eluded me. My inner voice screamed, "You're trying too hard!" and it seemed to make me understand.
In the middle of last week, without purpose or design, I dropped into un self consciousness for some time. When I returned, the experience made me wonder if I should start writing everything down. Regular habits were automatically off the hook. "For the mind was conscious, but conscious of nothing." I hope it happens again as chance is partly accident, but I won't start writing everything down if it does.





6 comments:

Tony said...

Colleen: Thanks for the heads up! Spelling continues to have its own set of rules. Where did the 16th century disappear to anyway?

TiffanyBerry said...

Eat, pray, love.

Tony said...

TT: Quite the good book in lots of different ways. I am glad that I never saw the movie because I don't think everything can be made into a movie.

ColleenQ said...

No problema - as you know, the most important component is content, content, content!

Environmental word of the day: remediation. For when you feel like some regulatory requirements in your life.

Anonymous said...

spontaneous enlightenment! don't you love it?
of course the zen guys say"before enlightenment chop wood and carry water. after enlightenment..the same"
D

TQ said...

D: or as Thomas Merton said, "What we have to be is what we are."