Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Response


Beginning with the advent season, some of the responses were changed in mass to more closely reflect the original translation from Latin into English. My response, since I didn't have glasses to read the q cards, was nothing. When I did think about it later, my reaction was, "Well, if you are trying to get to the exact meaning here, and we are making a change, why don't we just use Latin?" To me it is more authentic and meaningful to say, "Et cum spiritu tuo" than "And also with you." Besides, it feels like a chant.
There are further applications for everyday. When someone says, "Merry Christmas , have a nice day, Happy New Year, or have a good one", if you respond with the expected, then it sounds like you are saying "Me too". which is lame. Rather, if you respond, "And the Spirit with you (et cum spiritu tuo) then it feels like a real response.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked Namaste as a greeting. It's translation is "I bow to you" or "I salute or recognize your presence in society and the universe." Of course if I used that in everyday life people would think I was wierd or pretentious. Namaste, Tony! D

Tony said...

Thanks, D It has a nice ring to it.