Saturday, December 04, 2010

Heads Up

I wish I could have been there the first time. The curious human, probably in North America, picked some weeds out of the ground, lit them on fire and put them in their mouth. Then, looking for approval from his friends said, "This is exactly what I've been looking for to calm my nerves. I can see clearly now. Try one, they aren't habit forming".
Wm.T. related the following story to me years ago. As a young man during the depression, he left home looking for work. There was more than enough work on his parents farm, but the pay didn't have the same scale as a regular job. In other words, none. He left Carsonville to hitch-hike to Indiana. When he left, he had fifty cents in his pocket of which he spent half on a pack of Camels. I don't know how long the pack lasted, but it illustrated to me the strength of an iron clad habit.


No comments: