Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Runaway Train



The first time I ran away from school, I was living in Lansing. A smarter nineteen year old would have run away on the spot and not hitchhiked to Pontiac to initiate the get away, but my plans weren't as thoughtful as they might have been. Plus I knew where the train station was located, so I had that going for me. The ticket lady said, "Where do you want to go?" Since I really had no destination in mind, I replied "You pick, I don't care". My desire to be dramatic elicited this response, "If you don't know, then I'm not going to sell you a ticket". A very practical lady. She must have dealt with teenagers before. Now, suddenly I was stopped in my tracks. In an effort to recover from my faux pas, I quickly came up with Kansas City and she responded with a ticket.
The train hadn't traveled very far when I suddenly saw this little white car flying by my window. The train then stopped. Nobody was hurt for the car had apparently been abandoned too close to the tracks. The journey then continued to Kansas City and I arrived in time to see Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.

6 comments:

TiffanyBerry said...

This is a new story. Why Kansas??

TQ said...

I loved the movie so much that I got another train ticket and continued into California.

LQ said...

I never knew you were a dramatic teen.

Missed you at Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can visit next time I'm up north!

TQ said...

LQ: The teen years seemed to last a lifetime for me. I am slowly getting organized, and hope to make a trip down to see you and your whole family the next time you are in town.

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine my "organized little self" making a trip like that. So much fun to get to know you better Tony!

TQ said...

Denise: I ran under the guise of a unregistered EI for years, but the trap door still exists when you're running under your own power. " Wha hoom boy, let 'em out of the gate."