Monday, January 10, 2011

An Empty Set

The last, cold, Sunday morning, which was yesterday in fact, my car gauges displayed low tire pressure. Being an "On Duty Rudy, I decided to get some air in the tires before leaving town. Why postpone, or ruin my trip? It was so cold when I applied the air compressor valve, the tire stem snapped. Instead of low pressure, now there wasn't any. I changed the tire and drove home on my temporary spare.
Normally this would have cancelled my trip, but I thought instead, "Hey, don't miss the adventure".
So, I pulled my last, insured Fiero out of the snow and headed out. It was a wonderful visit, and I spent the night.
Next morning, as I hit the main road, I notice the oil pressure gauge is bouncing back and forth from zero. Leading indicator that trouble looms ahead. My first hope is that the reading is faulty, since my speedometer and other gauges fail on a regular basis. No such luck as I check the oil dip stick.
Gambling seems the only adventure alternative as I found myself one hundred and fifty miles from home. My odometer doesn't work, but I can coordinate the clock and the tachometer to calculate my distance traveled. It works out that one quart of oil every ten miles, will keep the machine moving. The road is clear, the game was on, hitchhiking in your own car.

4 comments:

ColleenQ said...

I'm wondering...did you pass along your automotive savvy to Vladimir, aka "curb-hopper"? He still laughs when he tells the story of his summer with you, trying to start the Fiero every day. Nip nay, not today.

TQ said...

Actually, he gives me new ideas.

Anonymous said...

I remember a trip to Ohio when I was 18 or so (you could drink in Ohio at 18) with a bunch of other teenage girls,the car overheated...we ended up pouring water in it about every 10 miles, took us all night to get home!ah the adventure!

TQ said...

Anon: Often times when I begin a road trip Dylan's lines come to mind. "The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense, and take what you have gathered from coincidence." The adventure is worth it.