Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pie Wagon


I almost slipped off the pot pie wagon today. It was as close as it could get. It felt to me that the pressure was building in the freezer section of my refrigerator. My friend Ross, who runs the township dump, gave me a double chicken TV dinner that was given to him, but he couldn't eat it because it had too much sugar. Ross is an outstanding human being in his late 80's. I couldn't turn it down and hurt his feelings, and besides that, sugar hasn't ever been something that concerned me. I returned home and shoved in the freezer out of sight, but not out of mind. Now, the food was reaching critical mass in my thoughts, and I had to do something soon, so I could quit thinking about the two frozen pot pies and TV dinner.
Today I pulled out the package and read the FACTS on the TV dinner. The sodium, cholesterol, and fat content made the pot pies look like health food in comparison. What should I do since I certainly didn't want to waste this food?
I remember Hope and Wm T. when the first cancer scare came over the radio about cyclamates. Apparently, some rats could develop cancer if they had too many cans of vegetables. This scare caused these products to drop to ten cents a can. Being practical people, they bought as many of these cans as they could at this bargain basement price. I made a loose connection in my thinking, brainstormed the event, and came up with the idea to cook everything at once. Maybe then, I could eat little portions, and become immune to the sodium, cholesterol, etc. in time. The jury is still out.

2 comments:

TiffanyBerry said...

The Amy Winehouse "Rehab" song sounds fitting. Do we need to schedule a pot pie intervention"

TQ said...

You are exactly right, that song would fit perfectly! I tried to think of something along that line, but failed in the attempt. Perhaps I will switch, as it would say more. I found a recipe on the internet yesterday for pot pies, so I could avoid the intervention step.