Wednesday, January 05, 2011

For Joe & Susie Taylor

Visiting James and Susie was always a good time. Fun and laughter coupled with bottled spirits of a different nature. This continued even after they moved to Alabama, my adopted state. During one of these visits, I stopped in mid sentence. Iris was singing. I had never heard her before, but she was both familiar and unknown. From a past that hadn't happened.
When I returned to Michigan and played my new find for Joe, he reacted to her in the same way. Love at first ear.

7 comments:

TiffanyBerry said...

Great tribute dad! I couldn't think of a better song!

LQ said...

Listened to this three times this morning. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love Iris DeMent and I just saw a movie,True Grit (really good) and she was singing on the soundtrack.Going to the movies is such a total escape from your present reality.One of the best drugs there is!

TiffanyBerry said...

Love at first ear! I just love that statement!

TQ said...

LQ: Glad you enjoyed it!

Anon I couldn't agree more about movies. So many times they have taken me totally from where I didn't want to be mentally, to a whole new vision of feeling that I didn't want to leave, but stayed with me forever.

Anonymous said...

crazy thought--yes, Iris is awesome, but was that Emmy Lou Harris singing with her???

TQ said...

Aye...